Friday, January 9, 2009

Catching Up...

I've been really lazy about updates lately, but today is the day to finally catch up! We had a great holiday season...so get ready for a long post as I fill you in on what we've been up to...
On December 18th (Mike's 30th birthday) we headed to Omaha to watch the Husker volleyball team play in the Final Four...tickets were compliments of my wonderful in-laws for both of our birthdays...thank you! I don't need to tell you what a great game it was, unfortunately the outcome wasn't what we hoped for...but we had a really good time. We had lunch beforehand at one of our favorite spots, Chili's...
Mike opening his gift from us... a gift certificate to go skydiving this Spring! He has wanted to do this for a long time and it was a pretty fun surprise!
The 3 of us cheering on the Huskers! After the game we headed back to Lincoln where we had reserved a hotel room. My sister, Mollie, was graduating from UNK the next day so we thought we'd go part way that night so we'd be closer in the morning. The game got over pretty late and by the time we drove through sleet and snow on not so good roads, we didn't make it to our room 'til 1:30...and Miss Aldyn was ready to play...'til about 2:30 am!! Needless to say we didn't make it to the 10:00 ceremony, but got to celebrate with everyone at the lunch reception.
Mollie and her boyfriend Adam at the reception.
Can you feel the chaos? This was toward the end and the kids had had enough of sitting!Then that afternoon we all headed to Wallace for an early Christmas celebration with my family. We had so much fun just hanging out together. It gets to be a pretty full house when we're all under one roof, but it was a great time. We played games, watched movies, relaxed, and ate waaay too much good food!Our annual Christmas supper of ham balls, hashbrown casserole, root beer, etc. Yum!Christmas Eve took us to Wilcox to celebrate with my dad's side, the Sheffields. The whole big extended family still gathers at my Grandpa's house. We have a fun time with a crazy little gift exchange, and of course, lots of food. The older I get the more I cherish and value these times...my Grandpa Hersh is 89 and has had his share of health issues, but he was doing well at Christmas, so we were thankful for that.Christmas Day...we spent the morning at our house...I wrapped up one little gift for Aldyn to open...she could've cared less, but I just had to.Then we spent the afternoon/evening with Mike's family. We had an amazing meal of prime rib, potatoes, and all of the extras...we exchanged gifts and just had a good time being together. Scott & Stacy were in Texas for Christmas, and we missed them!I didn't get many good pictures...but here's one of the cousins playing...they are starting to get a little annoyed with Aldyn at times because she gets into all of their stuff!Skylar, Carter & Gunnar got motorcycles from their parents. I thought Sky looked so darn cute scooting around all decked out in her pink!On the 26th we went to my Aunt Karla's in Funk, for my mom's side, the Turnquist gathering. My mom has 4 sisters and by the time you get all of our families together, we make quite a bunch. It's so fun to get to visit with my cousins, see the kids, and eat the traditional Swedish meal. Here's a cute pic of Aldyn w/ Great Grandma Elaine.The grandkids, spouses & great-grandkids that were able to be there this year...we were missing a few!
On the 27th we trekked out to McCook for Sandy & Quinton's wedding. Mollie was the maid of honor for her best friend. Sandy's sister, Joni, and I are the same age and to this day she is still one of my best friends!
Our little family pic at the wedding.
The holiday celebrations continue! On New Year's Day we went to Omaha to be with the Hadley clan. Scott and Stacy were back, and so Frank and Karen had planned a little get-away, so we could all be together and have some fun. We had a great time at CoCo Key, an indoor water park. I didn't get my camera out to capture the fun as I had intended...I guess I was as bad as the kids and spent most of my time on the water slides, in the hot tub and lounging on the lazy river! The guys watched the NE bowl game in a little cabana area where Aldyn fell asleep with Mike and he took the only picture of the day/weekend...she managed to sleep through all of their yelling during the game! Once again we ate...a lot...and just enjoyed being together. There's something really fun about being with family away from home.
On the way home Saturday, we stopped in Lincoln at Rod & Donna's (Mike's aunt & uncle) to spend some time with their family. Once again I didn't take many pictures, but did get my camera out to snap a quick one of Camryn and Aldyn. Since Camryn met Aldyn this summer she has been talking about when she'd get to see her again. They live in Illinois, so promised her that we would get together when they were back for Christmas. I guess she was counting down the days...how cute is that?!

Wow, I knew this would be a long post...maybe that's why I had been putting it off...but I didn't realize it would be quite this long...sorry if I bored you to tears with the blow by blow of our holiday festivities! Personally, I'm a little bummed that it's all over, now we're back to reality and January is officially my least favorite month...let's hope it goes by quickly!
Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Debi said...

OK, you are definately an over-achiever!! Just kidding.