Tuesday, September 30, 2008

First Combine Ride


It's that time of year again, already! It seems nearly impossible that a year has passed since last harvest. Mike & I were just talking about a day last year when he was desperate for a grain cart driver and somehow he managed to sweet talk me into coming out and helping him for a little while. I was just a few months pregnant, and at that point it felt like it would be forever until our babe would arrive. So it almost seems surreal that Aldyn is here and just went for her first spin in the combine. We took supper to the field tonight, and Mike was just finishing up, so we rode with him for the last round through the field. She was mesmerized, and seemed to enjoy watching the head go round and round. I'm sure this is the first of many rides to come, be it in the combine, tractor, semi or whatever. If we want to see Mike this time of year - this is what we'll have to do. But it's a fun change of pace and will get us out of the house for a while. I have many fond memories of riding with my dad growing up. He was always so patient, and would let me come out in my dress up clothes, carting along my strawberry shortcake pillow. I would entertain him for awhile by singing into a long lever (it made a perfect microphone) before I would crash behind the seat for a nap....yep, Aldyn is lucky to be a farm girl :)


1 comment:

Amber said...

You're right, the only time/way to see Mike these days is just to go to the field. That's how it is here, too. :) Aldyn needs some John Deere boots and hat!