Earlier this week I took a little
roadtrip with my mom, grandma and aunt to Wakefield, Ne. We went and visited the farmstead where my grandma grew up. I love history, especially when I have a connection to it, so stuff like this is so cool to me. I love to imagine my grandma and her sister and parents on the farm and what their daily life was like. I have lots of questions for my grandma, and I try not to overwhelm her with them, I think she gets frustrated with all that she can't remember. Her family was all in this area too, cousins down the road, and she has fond memories of many neighbors. We drove around the country and went by the site where she attended country school. It's fun to listen to my mom and her sisters reminisce about the time they spent in Wakefield, too...they have numerous stories about my great-grandparents, and since I never got to meet them, I soak it all in. When we were done exploring the farm, we went into town to drive by some houses where more of her family lived, the church they attended, and pay a quick visit to the cemetery. With all that my grandma is forgetting, I'm amazed at her memory when it comes to certain things...she was a good tour guide :)

The Levi
Dahlgren Farmstead...Grandma says it was neat as a pin when they lived there.

I'm so glad Grandma is still able to make trips like these. She stayed in the car because she has such difficulty walking, which is hard to see...but she was content to be that close.
Thanks to Grandma Karen and Grandpa Frank for keeping
Aldyn for the day so I could go. She had so much fun feeding the horse, playing with kitties, etc. Have I mentioned how thankful I am to have two sets of parents who help us out
sooo much? I'm pretty sure they didn't get "breaks" like these...I think the kids went almost everywhere with them. We are so spoiled...and appreciate all they do!
No comments:
Post a Comment