Sunday, April 10, 2011

Happy Memories Made Here...


...is the saying that greeted many who came to this door. I'm pretty sure it was painted on a decoration that my mom made for Grandpa and Grandma...and oh how accurate it was. Grandma has been gone six months now, and each time I walk through her back door I still expect that she's going to greet me in her little motorized wheelchair. Each time I'm there, I'm overcome with emotion. I can't quite explain it. I love being there - and I hate it...all at the same time. It feels wrong to be there without her, to be sorting through her things...to be preparting the house for someone new. I have such mixed feelings about seeing this house change hands. I know selling it is the right thing to do. No one in our family needs it...it is somewhat of a burden...but letting go of it seems way too final. This is the place where you always felt love when you walked through the door, always welcome and wanted. So many family gatherings were held here...loud, chaotic, crazy fun family gatherings. This is where my cousins, siblings and I played tag, hunted Easter eggs, fought, broke bones, ate popcorn, played uno and drank rootbeer floats...the list goes on. This is the place that welcomed us at Christmas with luminaries lighting the sidewalk, and lights on the bushes. This is the house that Grandma and Grandpa loved because they could look just up the road and see their beloved Bethphage Mission. It's the home we ran to after church on Sundays to find a delicious smelling meal waiting for us. This is where I came nearly every summer to stay for a week...oh how I looked forward to that time. I loved hearing the train rumble through town in the middle of the night, and thought it was so cool to be walking distance from the city pool. I loved being near family for that week. This is where I came during college for a home cooked meal and clean clothes. My home away from home. This is where my Grandpa fought cancer while Grandma nursed him through tough times. It's where he said goodbye to his girls and life on earth. It's where I came when my life was falling apart...and I was welcomed with open, loving, understanding arms. It's where I brought my sweet new baby girls to meet their precious great grandma for the first time. And when our visits were over, G & G always stood on the front step and waved to us as we pulled away. Maybe this explains why yesterday, as we were sorting through things, and someone stopped by to look through the house with hopes of starting their own life there, I started feeling possessive, and jealous...I can hardly stand the thought of someone else taking over. I wanted to start pointing out everything that was wrong with the house, everything that needs repairs. And on the other hand, I can't help but think of how blessed the new owners will be...if they create half of the memories that we did in this home. I have to keep reminding myself...it's not the house that makes the memories special...it's the people. It's only a house for goodness sake. So, I'll hold these memories close to my heart, and look forward to making more. I'm hoping that maybe years down the road, the new owners, whoever they may be, will let us take a peek inside and reminisce for just a moment or two.

4 comments:

Mollie said...

You're awesome, and you made me cry. Love you and everything you just wrote.

Unknown said...

Oh how the tears are running down my face after just reading these comments from your heart, hon. We were so fortunate to make family memories in such a love filled place. Thank you for putting your thoughts into words. They are priceless! I love you! Mom

Aunt Karla said...

Tears,tears,tears... We were so blessed. Thanks for putting into words how we all are feeling. Wonder where you got your gift for writing? Love you Wen

Jill said...

Is it okay that I'm not family and crying reading this post?? That was beautiful! Praising God for your grandparents legacy and His faithfulness.